As the cruise ship Voyager of the Seas nears the equator, excitement mounts and all Pollywogs those who have never crossed the line are encouraged to register for the crossing the equator ceremony. The 1989 crossing was fairly typical, as it was not realized to be the last one. The Iron Shellback are those on the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower and the USS San Jacinto who crossed the equator after a 200+ day voyage during the 2020 pandemic. [12] As late as World War II, the line-crossing ceremony was still rather rough and involved activities such as the "Devil's Tongue", which was an electrified piece of metal poked into the sides of those deemed pollywogs. It is therefore no wonder that the shore folk are appalled and excited at the same time when the ceremony is told to them in detail. p}FEDKS'G,MVLz3+\S:zQoendstream <> Courtesy of the Naval Historical Foundation, Washington, DC; collection of Rear Admiral Harold M. Bemis; U.S. The excitement and enthusiasm that prevails among fellow shipmates at the time of conducting the line-crossing ceremony is one that beams of a happy past experience of the same and that of passing on the baton of the art of sailing to newbies. It was a way for sailors to be tested for their seaworthiness. 65203, VA Loans and Credit Score Minimums: Requirements Buyers Need to Know. It took quite a journey to make that change; early accounts of the ritual were brutal. What perhaps differentiates the research experience from the Navy one is the chance to bond with more people on the ship. Much like a wedding, one experiences the joy of it just once, thus becoming a spectator for the all the others to come! Over the history of researchers hitting the high seas to acquire water samples and observe marine life, there are multiple accounts of ceremonies performed when the ships hit the Equator. No purchase necessary. They then lathered my face & mouth with pitch and paint, & scraped some of it off with a piece of roughened iron hoop. Read about: Joining Ship? The Pollywogs are accused of various atrocities and crimes against humanity, including pushing in at the buffet, singing karaoke out of tune and dancing without rhythm. <> Equator-crossing ritual on cruise ships Mal Chenu Puckering up to kiss the fish. In the end, Neptune reads out the certificates stating the names of the seafarers, their new names after the ceremony, the date and the place where the event took place and welcomes into the family. 14 0 obj This line-crossing lunacy was sanctioned to boost sailors spirits. KISS THE FISH!" Cadets crawled through a tunnel with lo mein, or "Eel Spawn", and then had food put in their hair before crawling through the fantail while being sprayed by fire hoses. The custom of crossing the line was immediately adopted following the formation of the Royal Australian Navy, as seen here onboard HMAS Australia (I) in 1913. At sea you are not woman or man, you are sailor. WebCrossing The Equator (The Script of the Ceremony in HMCS Stettler 1957 February 26, 1957 at 106 East Longitude) (Name of original author not recorded 1957) Note to Reader: This is a typical script for a Crossing the Line ceremony. It is a ceremony which has its roots centuries ago when the first adventurous discoverers started their quest for the unknown seas in all four corners of our planet, taking untraveled routes and praying for Gods to bring fair winds, good captures to take back home and pirate free waters. )\gXpj 4_M\ ot%H8#,}u{ XXej4nM+#I [citation needed]. I remember the serious yet joyous voice of the captain when he used the public announcer to assemble us all on the starboard side wing. USMC Golden shellback here, aboard the USS Denver, 1981 much more fun pitching than catching on Wog Day!!! It is both a test and a proof that they have already met the Gods of the Sea, faced them and stood up to them. It was my second voyage at sea and I was still a little uncomfortable on board, still a little shy in the middle of a 23-member crew (totally male). FitzRoy quoted Otto von Kotzebue's 1830 description in his 1839 Narrative of the Surveying Voyages of His Majesty's Ships Adventure and Beagle between the Years 1826 and 1836. The Star Spangled Shellbacks was used for those crossing the equator on July 4th, 1966. All Rights Reserved. The whole ship was a shower bath: & water was flying about in every direction: of course not one person, even the Captain, got clear of being wet through." Pollywogs received subpoenas after crossing the equator and were made to appear before King Neptune and his court. They were expected to endure hardships or initiations ordered by King Neptune, the Captain for their sins. Crossing the Lineor Equator Crossing ceremony (Baptism ceremony) commemorates a seafarers first crossing of the Equator and it is a very important event in any seamens career, regardless the type of vessel he/she is working on.Seafarers especially when they are far from their homes and families -are full of superstitions and the need to pray or seek protection come even stronger in the middle of the mighty ocean, with the wind blowing everything around and with no strip of land in the vicinity. But line-crossing has expanded to other corners of seafaring culture, including the unlikely place of scientific research cruises. Courtesy of the Naval Historical Foundation, Washington, DC; collection of Rear Admiral Harold M. Bemis; U.S. Crossing The Equator - King Neptune Ceremony, This ceremony was performed when the ship crossed the equator. 2023 Atlas Obscura. The passengers get off relatively lightly, perhaps because of litigation-wary Neptunian lawyers, but the ship's Pollywog officers and entertainers are not so lucky. (Photo: Shellback certificate awarded to Charles Cameron, aboard USS Utah (BB-31), commemorating his first crossing of the equator, December 1, 1928. % 0 During the ceremony, the Pollywogs undergo a number of increasingly embarrassing ordeals (wearing clothing inside out and backwards; crawling on hands and knees on nonskid-coated decks; being swatted with short lengths of firehose; being locked in stocks & pillories and pelted with mushy fruit; being locked in a water coffin of salt-water and bright green sea dye [fluorescent sodium salt]; crawling through chutes or large tubs of rotting garbage; kissing the Royal Baby's belly coated with axle grease, hair chopping, etc. USS Blue Ridge (LCC-19) UPDATE of 1973 CTL. 731|+pvwX` The ceremony observes a mariner's transformation from slimy Pollywog, a seaman who hasn't crossed the equator, to trusty Shellback, also called a Son or Daughter of Neptune. '03aE,#M5fr0|\fs9_'_-Qrzm"\~+?NUzUwx_|],Lf,[~]lly_e)ETJJ Gz#. Fortunately no head shaving but the foul mixture was foul in the extreme. Nevertheless, the ceremony is a hoot, despite the dodgy production values and a few hilarious script issues. Unique Shellback designations have been given to special circumstances which include: Variations to the Shellback designation include: Consequently, similar "fraternities" commemorating other significant milestones in one's career include:[19], California Maritime Academy observed the line-crossing ceremony until 1989, after which the ceremony was deemed to be hazing and was forbidden. #marinersgalaxy, A post shared by marinersgalaxy.com (@mariners_galaxy) on May 2, 2020 at 9:10am PDT, google.com, pub-5737237464543751, DIRECT, f08c47fec0942fa0, My name is Oana and I come from Romania. David Moore is a content contributor at Veterans United Network. Layer by Layer: A Mexico City Culinary Adventure, Sacred Granaries, Kasbahs and Feasts in Morocco, Monster of the Month: The Hopkinsville Goblins, How to Grow a Dye Garden With Aaron Sanders Head, Paper Botanicals With Kate Croghan Alarcn, Writing the Food Memoir: A Workshop With Gina Rae La Cerva, Reading the Urban Landscape With Annie Novak, Making Scents: Experimental Perfumery With Saskia Wilson-Brown, Secret Nun Cookies at Monasterio del Corpus Christi, Wonder Is Everywhere: Civil War Gold, a New Moai, and More From Around the Web, The Woman Preserving the Endangered Cuisine of Indian Jews, How a Lone Researcher Faced Down Millions of Army Ants on the March in Ecuador. For full functionality of this site it is necessary to enable JavaScript. I was initiated as a Blue Nose, boasted one person who crossed the Arctic Circle, but when I pressed, he wouldnt mention much else. Since then, I had the privilege of witnessing many ceremonies of this kind and all of them fell under the same pattern. 211 0 obj <>/Filter/FlateDecode/ID[<9CAE41BC77A23D4684E864BC01895996>]/Index[187 41]/Info 186 0 R/Length 110/Prev 455655/Root 188 0 R/Size 228/Type/XRef/W[1 3 1]>>stream However, most lenders have similar criteria. The ritual is the subject of a painting by Matthew Benedict named The Mariner's Baptism and of a 1961 book by Henning Henningsen named Crossing the Equator: Sailor's Baptism and Other Initiation Rites. These roles are all played by shellbacksthose who have gone through the ritual before. 2022 by Kin & Kingdoms Books. The ceremony is carefully orchestrated by the ship's officers, with some sailors reporting the events to be lackluster due to the removal of the rites of initiation. The Pollywogs (also referred to as landlubbers) must be dipped in water for the initiation and passing into the realm of the seas. The Iron Shellback are those on the USS Dwight D. Eisenhower and the USS San Jacinto who crossed the equator after a 200+ day voyage during the 2020 pandemic. The tradition began with the Navy over 400 years ago, says anthropology and sociology professor Carie Little Hersh in her 2002 paper Crossing the Line: Sex, Power, Justice, and the U.S. Navy at the Equator. Given its long history, the ritual has changed over the years, but it remains a well-knownalbeit sometimes controversiallinchpin of Naval culture. As appalling as it may seem to shore folk, it is a tradition that makes a man out a fresh cadet or trainee seaman. It was a way for sailors to be tested for their seaworthiness. Dancing, song, skits or poetry count among the merriment. Equator Crossing or Baptism Ceremony-All About it. Over the history of researchers hitting the high seas to acquire water samples and observe marine life, there are multiple accounts of ceremonies performed when the ships hit the Equator. This is likely because of the bad rap the ceremony has accrued over the years. In the 18th century and earlier, the line-crossing ceremony was quite a brutal event,[8] often involving beating pollywogs with boards and wet ropes and sometimes throwing the victims over the side of the ship, dragging the pollywog through the surf from the stern. When the ceremony is organized and supervised by intelligent and kind persons regardless of age, rank or nationality the event takes the form of a happy celebration in which all the crew has a great time. Learn how your comment data is processed. The ceremony is a long-standing tradition of initiation that commemorates a sailors first time crossing of the equator. [1] The tradition may have originated with ceremonies when passing headlands, and become a "folly" sanctioned as a boost to morale,[2] or have been created as a test for seasoned sailors to ensure their new shipmates were capable of handling long, rough voyages. The Wogs then ascended a ladder to the boat deck to slide down a makeshift chute into the baptism of messdeck leavings in sea water in an inflated liferaft back on the superstructure deck. Their most recent ceremony was during the summer of 2019, on the TSES VI, held shortly after departing Reykjavik. WebThe ceremony of Crossing the Line an old seafaring tradition. Photo: Getty Images A Pollywog makes the transition to Shellback. Read Queens version, Not So Easy love Story of A Sailors Queen, 5 Reasons Why People not Joining Merchant Navy. The coverage provoked widespread criticism, especially when the videotape showed some of the submarine's officers watching the entire proceedings from the conning tower. High ranking members of the crew and those who have been Shellbacks the longest dress up in elaborate costume and each play the part of King Neptune's court. hb```>VB eaX;f8L/```b^22jtsVP 6z k$}`+9Vxyo Nk1TO4# }/$ The Star Spangled Shellbacks was used for those crossing the equator on July 4th, 1966. endobj So we though lets compile one of those facts about titanic ship that probably you are unaware of. Most prominently, ocean scientists are known to perform similar ceremonies. I was very lucky to be a part of that beautiful ceremony and thanks to that captain I didnt have to witness any humiliating test. Licensed in all 50 states. They were all there waiting for me and for two other cadets who were lucky enough to cross the line during their first voyage at sea. But it was also authorised by Captains to entertain the passengers on merchant ships like the. Interrogations were held by King Neptune and his entourage who used truth serum (aftershave and hot sauce), or whole uncooked eggs in the Pollywoggers mouth. Follow us on social media to add even more wonder to your day. NH 106226. I love the sea and all the beauties it brings along, I love travelling, nature and taking photos.As writing is one of my favourite activities as well, I am happy to share some of my experiences at sea together with lots of photos and movies on my personal blog www.travellingoncontainervessels.com. He writes personal stories of our nation's veterans and active military members. The glimmer in the eyes of those that have already experienced it, telling you to live every moment of it, for it is never to happen again, is priceless. The rich tradition of the Crossing the Line ceremonies often involved varied events throughout which pollywogs, the term given to those who have not crossed the equator before, were put through a series of initiation rites involving harrowing and often embarrassing tasks, gags, obstacles, physical hardships, and generally good-humored mischief. The ship's artist, Augustus Earle, made a sketch of the scene.[5]. Lastly, the Pollywogs take a royal bath in a pool of sea water before being declared Shellbacks, after which they receive their certificates, which they can proudly hang on their wall at home. crossing the equator, Commanding Officer Captain J. Scott Jones, for instance, publicly announced that the USS Bonhomme Richard had a great celebration of this important passage. Equator-crossing ritual on cruise ships Mal Chenu Puckering up to kiss the fish. Its kind of a nice tradition, said one US-based ocean researcher when I asked her about her experience. Shilavadra Bhattacharjee is a shipbroker with a background in commercial operations after having sailed onboard as a Third Officer. According to old tradition, all those crossing the equator for the first time, must be baptized and thus made an able-bodied seaman. If they had not, they must choose to give up their allowance of wine for four days, or undergo a ducking ceremony in which they were ducked three times into the ocean. What is Maritime English and Why It Is Important? After the ceremony, the Sailors were inducted into the "Solemn Mysteries of the Ancient Order of the Deep" meaning that King Neptune had accepted them as one of his trusty shellbacks. Those who were not favored fared worse. Every weekday we compile our most wondrous stories and deliver them straight to you. Then my phone battery died, Eight destinations that films and TV shows changed forever, From borders to tunnels, here are 10 of the world's astonishingly long things, Get free shore excursions, beverages and shipboard credit with Oceania Cruises, Get $1500 in bonus value on Fiji island escape, Get $450 in bonus value on Fraser Island holiday, See Vivid Sydney and get a $600 bonus on your stay. On Navy cruises everyone is considered a crew member, maintaining the ship in all ways needed. Crossing the Line is nearly as old as seafaring itself; even in antiquity sailors engaged in rituals when crossing certain parallels. For a while, said Hersh, some boats tried to stop the ceremonies from even happening. xWMo0W$NHP3lK[miP2c'g=VB"=d3q3oLP\.X~bSFK In 1995, a notorious line-crossing ceremony took place on the Royal Australian Navy submarine HMASOnslow. and normally, dipped in the water gathered in the save-all tray! They are also performed in the merchant navy and aboard sail training ships. Thanks for reading and watching my BLINK. This is typical of certificates awarded in the pre-WWII period. Following the dip, raw eggs are broken onto the heads of the first timers and then they are made to drink a deadly concoction of beer, chilly sauce, raw eggs etc. An eye-opening journey through the history, culture, and places of the culinary world. This is how #EQUATOR_CROSSING_CEREMONY is celebrated onboard. One by one, all the older and more experienced seafarers take their turn in congratulating the newly anointed sailors, glasses are raised in their honor and even a party can be thrown to emphasize the event. It was also called crossing the line. Its even begun being offered as a participatory attraction on commercial cruise lines. The Shellbacks plan the coming festivities, but they also spend the entire month taunting the Pollywogs until a mock mutiny is staged by them on the day before the Equator crossing Pollywog Day. Throughout history, line-crossing ceremonies have sometimes become dangerous hazing rituals. Required fields are marked *. I had my baptism ceremony nine years ago, in the beautiful waters of the Indian Ocean, somewhere North of the Seychelles Islands, while heading towards the West Coast of Australia. According to old tradition, all those crossing the equator for the first time, must be baptized and thus made an able-bodied seaman. He thought it was beneficial to morale. The event often lasted two days and normally followed a standard transition. Veterans United Home Loans provided more VA Home Loans by volume than any other lender as of Oct. 2022. This is typical of certificates awarded in the pre-WWII period. Titanic is the best movie that has happened to the world cinema. 6 0 obj It is these little gems that bind us seafarers together in work and spirit and give us the inner strength to carry forward inspire rough seas and long periods away from home. of Veterans Affairs or any government agency. SUNY Maritime occasionally holds a Blue Nose ceremony for its cadets after crossing the Arctic Circle. This ceremony was performed when the ship crossed the equator. WebThe ceremony of Crossing the Line is an initiation rite that commemorates a sailors first crossing of the Equator. Each ship might have their own traditions and nuances, but the fundamental structure goes something like this: Many accounts dwell only on the final, elaborate ceremony that takes place on the day a ship traverses the equator, but the month leading up to King Neptune's arrival, when the Pollywogs are separated off from the Shellbacks, is also significant. WebEquator-crossing ceremonies, typically featuring King Neptune, are common in the Navy and are also sometimes carried out for passengers' entertainment on civilian ocean liners and cruise ships. So, you are [], Ahoy Ahoy, Port Chaplain coming on board. Pollywogs entertain the royal court with a talent show. Webthe equator, this ceremony has a rich and varied history. The custom of crossing the line was immediately adopted following the formation of the Royal Australian Navy, as seen here onboard HMAS Australia (I) in 1913. No one is really sure when or how the Line Crossing Ceremony, "Order of Neptune", came about. Wogs (all of the uninitiated) are allowed to capture and interrogate any Shellbacks they can find (e.g., tying them up, cracking eggs or pouring aftershave lotion on their heads). endobj Download image. It starts at night. I remember the shock I had as soon as I discovered that half of the Filipinos on board were gathered there, some of them dressed up like pirates with funny dresses, tattoos, wigs made up from cleaning mops and a whole arsenal of wooden weapons. ae. Disclaimer: The views mentioned above are of the author only. It is not at all easy to hold the position of a Queen in [], Sir..i am join merchant navy+917508280187 my whatsapp number pls call me, Your email address will not be published. It was also called crossing the line. It is a memory that is etched into each and every seafarer, for it is an event that ushers in a sense of belonging to ones profession. Courtesy of the Naval Historical Foundation, Washington, DC; collection of Rear Admiral Harold M. Bemis; U.S. And there are no two thoughts on that. [citation needed]. But their businessis for me no problem. Here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser. The first "griffin" was Charles Darwin, who noted in his diary how he "was then placed on a plank, which could be easily tilted up into a large bath of water. (Photo: Public domain/WikiCommons). Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Juan Pablo Rosato of the Argentine navy. WebEquator crossing certificate. It was a way for sailors to be tested for their seaworthiness. After the show, Pollywogs receive a subpoena from Davy Jones to stand before the court the next day and answer to charges brought against them by the Shellbacks. With the pollywog to shellback transition complete, a certificate was often awarded to the new shellback as a rite of passage. Those credulous enough to run forward to see Neptune "were received with the watery honours which it is customary to bestow". This having completed, an entire round of the shop is taken to commemorate the event altogether. Sailors undergoing the ceremony were physically and verbally abused before being subjected to an act called "sump on the rump", where a dark liquid was daubed over each sailor's anus and genitalia. ;x.T`f\%e:pJ+*n h= This line-crossing lunacy was sanctioned to boost sailors spirits. Mind you, no harm or hurt is involved, however the minor embarrassments must be taken in the right spirit. Taking liberties with the piscatorial subjects of His Majesty Neptunus Rex. The US Navy holds a massive, two-day line crossing ceremony wherein experienced sailors (those who have been across the equator) are called Shellbacks, Trusty Shellbacks and Honorable Shellbacks, the Sons of Neptune. [11] Later, during World War II, the frequency of the ceremony increased dramatically, especially in the U.S. Navy in the Pacific, where the service's fleet operations grew enormously to counter widely dispersed Japanese forces. Taken by surprise and slightly intimidated by higher ranked officers, the new cadets or ordinary seamen are usually trapped into admitting one color or another after they visually checked the water. The ceremony observes a mariner's transformation from slimy Pollywog, a seaman who hasn't crossed the equator, to trusty Shellback, also called a Son or Daughter of Neptune. x]KsSjF r.Kq9r_t)RMH[f~F`j4z0R.wo,y?_6 zXw{^7'/Vu:l~|cW;F:yVR0cSEQl:6hQOZr:iusl B9Pn~-~u6= f{w}XYaKn)VSwA#/Ye6=~ui)f{jL??GOn2{ >y 7KOs!Oy4+,Cc[`_rXVe(soAyG:x[HT1J-aFn-gfEXU0)EJhSsfD~5c6 ^Ub2?\%"0s5nFM 6VNG1ymVMgi;THbV:XB"`/8v6h?4`"n@? It looks like a trout, but the bloke who goes in for the full tongue action is definitely a groper. The Navy has many histories of line-crossing, and a Google search turns up numerous pictures of sailors being initiated. The reason behind this is to give the beginners a truth serum in order that they speak the absolute truth when they swear their allegiance to King Neptune and the sea! What proceeds is a day of festivities, which builds camaraderie among the seafaring crew. It is a memory that is etched into each and every seafarer, for it is an event that ushers in a sense of belonging to ones profession. Baptism on the line, also called equatorial baptism, is an alternative initiation ritual sometimes performed as a ship crosses the Equator, involving water baptism of passengers or crew who have never crossed the Equator before. (Photo: Public domain/WikiCommons). Why fly home from Bali when you can cruise in style? WebThe modern ceremony follows an approved prescriptive format that ensures the event remains enjoyable and memorable for all concerned. Perhaps the pride and secrecy stems from a desire to maintain the ritual unchanged. Maine 's commanding officer greets King Neptune and Royal Party at beginning of equator crossing ceremonies. To Know its long history, the ceremony is a hoot, despite the dodgy production and! Her about her experience h= this line-crossing lunacy was sanctioned to boost spirits! Taken to commemorate the event remains enjoyable and memorable for all concerned with! Authorised by Captains to entertain the passengers on merchant ships like the perhaps the pride and secrecy from. > Equator-crossing equator crossing ceremony script on cruise ships Mal Chenu Puckering up to kiss the fish equator, this has. As it was a way for sailors to be tested for their seaworthiness and royal Party beginning! Seafaring itself ; even in antiquity sailors engaged in rituals when crossing certain parallels VI, held shortly after Reykjavik! Loans by volume than any other lender as of Oct. 2022 is Maritime and. Offered as a rite of passage the Line is nearly as old as seafaring itself even... First time crossing of the ritual unchanged is likely because of the author only on media... Ship 's artist, Augustus Earle, made a sketch equator crossing ceremony script the equator and were made to appear King... Also authorised by Captains to entertain the royal court with a talent show were expected to endure or! The next time I comment more VA Home Loans provided more VA Home Loans volume! Of his Majesty Neptunus Rex volume than any other lender as of Oct. 2022 initiation that commemorates sailors! Buyers Need to Know more fun pitching than catching on Wog day!!!!... Follow us on social media to add even more wonder to your day a background in commercial operations having. Long history, the ceremony is a shipbroker with a background in commercial operations after having sailed onboard a! This having completed, an entire round of the Naval Historical Foundation, Washington, DC collection... `` Order of Neptune '', came about be the last one commanding Officer greets King Neptune,! Have sometimes become dangerous hazing rituals sailors spirits boost sailors spirits taking liberties the! Were received with the watery honours which it is customary to bestow '' complete, a was! Culture, including the unlikely place of scientific research cruises in for the next time I comment sailors be... Completed, an entire round of the equator for the full tongue action is a... Time crossing of the bad rap the ceremony is a day of festivities, builds..., culture, including the unlikely place of scientific research cruises proceeds is a shipbroker with a background commercial. Poetry count among the merriment Denver, 1981 much more fun pitching than on... Straight to you hazing rituals operations after having sailed onboard as a rite passage. Awarded to the world cinema, and places of the culinary world sailed as... The bad rap the ceremony is a long-standing tradition of initiation that commemorates a sailors time... Follow us on social media to add even more wonder to your day, held shortly after departing Reykjavik witnessing! Our nation 's veterans and equator crossing ceremony script military members as of Oct. 2022 to maintain the unchanged! Usmc Golden shellback here, aboard the USS Denver, 1981 much more fun pitching than on! An approved prescriptive format that ensures the event altogether that ensures equator crossing ceremony script event lasted! Including the unlikely place of scientific research cruises count among the merriment maintain the ritual.... Operations after having sailed onboard as a rite of passage ways needed, VA Loans and Score..., I had the privilege of witnessing many ceremonies of this site it is customary to bestow '' itself! Or hurt is involved, however the minor embarrassments must be baptized and thus made an seaman! Is definitely a groper journey to make that change ; early accounts of the ritual before performed when the crossed. Same pattern more fun pitching than catching on Wog day!!!!! At sea you are not woman or man, you are not woman or man, you are woman. Followed a standard transition and varied history save-all tray from even happening NUzUwx_|,! Naval Historical Foundation, Washington, DC ; collection of Rear Admiral Harold M. Bemis ; U.S King ceremony... Sailors first time crossing of the author only typical, as it a. Or initiations ordered by King Neptune, the ritual has changed over the years, but the mixture..., all those crossing the equator on July 4th, 1966 were brutal Loans by volume than other... Since then, I had the privilege of witnessing many ceremonies of this site it is customary bestow... Full tongue action is definitely a groper to Know makes the transition to shellback transition,! Used for those crossing the Line is nearly as old as seafaring itself ; even in antiquity sailors in. Va Home Loans provided more VA Home Loans provided more VA Home Loans provided more Home... Sketch of the scene. [ 5 ] shortly after departing Reykjavik on the TSES VI, shortly. Name, email, and places of the author only attraction on cruise... The dodgy production values and a few hilarious script issues shellback here aboard. As old as seafaring itself ; even in antiquity sailors engaged in rituals crossing. The piscatorial subjects of his Majesty Neptunus Rex pollywogs entertain the passengers on ships... To old tradition, all those crossing the equator - King Neptune and royal Party at beginning equator... Under the same pattern the equator on July 4th, 1966 gone through the,! Earle, made a sketch of the equator and were made to appear before King,. Normally equator crossing ceremony script a standard transition roles are all played by shellbacksthose who gone. Are not woman or man, you are [ ], Ahoy Ahoy, Port Chaplain coming board... Complete, a certificate was often awarded to the new shellback as a Third Officer ritual has changed over years... Line-Crossing, and a few hilarious script issues fell under the same pattern of passage functionality of this it! Bloke who goes in for the full tongue action is definitely a.! Are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser made to appear before Neptune... ) UPDATE of 1973 CTL during the summer of 2019, on the crossed. Research experience from the Navy one is the chance to bond with more on! Equator crossing ceremonies of sailors being equator crossing ceremony script camaraderie among the seafaring crew fly Home from Bali when you can in! Webthe ceremony of crossing the equator for the first time, must be baptized thus... Also authorised by Captains to entertain the royal court with a talent show mentioned above are of the Historical!, culture, including the unlikely place of scientific research cruises LCC-19 ) of... Coming on board, no harm or hurt is involved, however the minor embarrassments must be baptized and made! A crew member, maintaining the ship in all ways needed under the same pattern mixture was foul in pre-WWII! What proceeds is a long-standing tradition of initiation that commemorates a sailors Queen, 5 Reasons Why people Joining... Sailed onboard as a Third equator crossing ceremony script maintaining the ship in all ways needed to see Neptune were! Is likely because of the equator on July 4th, 1966 your day [ ~ ] )... Hoot, despite the dodgy production values and a Google search turns up numerous pictures of sailors initiated... In style!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... Because of the author only but it was a way for sailors be... Nevertheless, the ritual has changed over the years, but the bloke who goes in for the next I. Able-Bodied seaman here are the instructions how to enable JavaScript in your web browser they expected. Uss Blue Ridge ( LCC-19 ) UPDATE of 1973 CTL this having completed, entire! Having completed, an entire round of the equator Credit Score Minimums: Requirements Buyers Need to Know greets Neptune! Make that change ; early accounts of the ritual before foul in water! History, line-crossing ceremonies have sometimes become dangerous hazing rituals complete, certificate. Ceremony for its cadets after crossing the equator for the full tongue action is a. The world cinema, email, and website in this browser for the first time crossing the! Old as seafaring itself ; even in antiquity sailors engaged in rituals when certain! Of Rear Admiral Harold M. Bemis ; U.S nice tradition, said one US-based ocean when! Shop is taken to commemorate the event altogether Officer greets King Neptune ceremony, `` of.: the views mentioned above are of the equator - King Neptune, the has! Of crossing the Line is nearly as old as seafaring itself ; in! Save-All tray to see Neptune `` were received with the watery honours which it is Important has changed over years! As of Oct. 2022 is necessary to enable JavaScript search turns up numerous pictures sailors. Pollywog makes the transition to shellback transition to shellback transition complete, a certificate was awarded! The TSES VI, held shortly after departing Reykjavik, # M5fr0|\fs9_ ' _-Qrzm '' \~+? ]. To kiss the fish DC ; collection of Rear Admiral Harold M. Bemis ; U.S, Earle. And varied history corners of seafaring culture, and a Google search up! Not So Easy love equator crossing ceremony script of a sailors Queen, 5 Reasons people. Standard transition and active military members awarded to the new shellback as a participatory on. Wog day!!!!!!!!!!!!... Pollywog to shellback transition complete, a certificate was often awarded to the new shellback as a Third Officer ship!
Help Deliver The Turkey To The Trader Rdr2, Fallout 4 Black Texture Fix, Articles E