Sheffield Steel Products of Sheffield, Yorkshire. 0000002083 00000 n 5 will have "Rifle No 5 Mk I" electrostencilled there, [20] while a post-war conversion will generally have either no markings or markings from manufacturers who did not make the No. 0000000016 00000 n & S. Ltd." = Fred Fisher & Sons Ltd. "JW (S) Ltd." = John Wilson Ltd., Sheffield, "TRM.1", "TRM.2", and "TRM 3" = Tinsley Rolling Mills Co. Ltd. of Sheffield. Founded in 1999. Mazak is, by far, the most common, followed by blued steel. Batch No: Barrels with two, three, four, five, and six groove rifling were produced. wide. Among the markings on the No. The world famous Lee Enfield in one of it's most popular incarnations, the Lee Enfield No.4 Rifle is one of our best sellers. In 1943, Prince-Smith was assigned the dispersal code N56. N30 over H&B (pictured at left). 5 mm. Essentially both types of sling present 3 loops, to form a better control on the stance with the firearm to hold and return to a sighting zero (natural point of aim) - I have personally experienced this in CMP competitions, where sling use during rapid fire is essential. Carries the electropenciled New Zealand property marking and serial number. Although troops often resorted to more expedient means of modifying frogs to retain No. 4 Mk. 2. 4 bayonets went to New Zealand. (2) Canadian No. J'aime Je n'aime pas : Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 vs Armes modernes en .308 : Page 1 sur 1: Sujets similaires. That`s a No4 Mk1* made by Savage for England in the days of WW 2. Our Price: . It was a simplified version of the Short, Magazine, Lee-Enfield rifle that served the Empire so well in the first unpleasantness. This means Royal Ordance Factory Fazakerly, Factory Through Repair, 1949. Though, looking at the photos, it could mean the same. Wartime guns all had letter prefixes, but each. In September 1945, nomenclature was changed to replace Roman numerals with Arabic numerals. 4 Rifle," appeared originally in the April 2004 issue of American Rifleman. Here, he explains their advantages and disadvantagesand how to use them safely. Like the SMLE an all matching No4 or No5 will have all the serial numbers matching wherever they are found on a particular rifle. 4 spike bayonets used by Turkey. These war time sling swivels were made by Hollands and are typically browned steel. 4 bayonets. When the No4T was conceived the cheek piece was transferred / continued. This symbol is similar to the Australian Defence Dept. Thanks. My thought is its a Savage No4 Mk1* lend lease made in 1942, It has the ( S ) markings and machine marks, The receiver, barrel, bolt, magazine and stock all have the same Indian furbished serial numbers and the savage markings. The C would make it a Savage, a L would make it a Long Branch. 4 Spike Bayonet Manufacturers Chart. not 8.8 Barrel length is 25 1/4 inches, not 25 2 inches It carries the scabbard with the frog stud inwards, where belt frogs almost universally carry scabbards frog stud outwards. Singer and other producers (Savage has been observed). A drain hole in the finial, allows water to drain. This PSK No. These rifles can often be identified by the stacking hook welded to the upper band. The sling worked well enough in dry / sunny climates like Africa and Italy, but in the UK training camps and northern Europe they were found to be "slippy" to use and needing lots of preservative (Dubbin) to survive the wet conditions. It retains the 10 round box detachable magazine, however the largest change to the rifle was the addition of a rear aperture sight. Auto Engineering produced approx. The markings in the other photos are not mentioned, except the '2' on the bolt head, which is its size (there being several sizes available to get the head space right). Following the sale of Remington Outdoor Company's assets in September 2020, Vista Outdoor purchased Remington Ammunition. " gh" over "1 9 h". The new value of an ENFIELD 303 NO 4 MK I rifle has fallen ($24.62) dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $603.36 . The leather is quite thin, suggesting that this might have been done for civilian (e.g., police) use, rather than military use. III sniper rifle and Enfield No. startxref Any stock of the P14 cheek pieces would have been transferred to the 4T program - first built by Enfield Lock and then by Hollands - it is not clear when these transitioned to new made cheek pieces. 0000013021 00000 n II: Singer in Scotland, the Savage Stevens Co. in the USA, and Long Branch in Canada. Two Swiss codes are noted. Armourers would not make a buttstock with S51 for spare parts. Other Components - By studying the few untouched (scopeless) No4Ts we can see which other No4T components came from other supplies to the BSA factory from 1941 to 1945. 2) A "F" on the flip-up brass disc on the butt plate 3) Four things that look like stars or asterisks on the bottom of the magazine. Lee Enfield No4 Mk1 Serial Numbers. starting with a 1) indicates it was manufactured by ROF Maltby in Yorkshire, England. II* bayonets. Nice rifle regardless That was my original though, I know I wont get a 100g% sure answer I'm just looking for most likely. 3 MK. by Saxon Cross 22 Mar 2012, 21:33, Post The very early contracts at Holland and Holland for T conversion included selected rifles from Savage, Longbranch, Maltby and BSA (a single Fazakerley example has been documented @ 2020) - this was too much variation for the conversion process to be efficient and by early 1942 only BSA rifles were to be converted. It was the British Army's standard rifle from its official adoption in 1895 until 1957. The Parker HAle PH215 series triangular sling swivel is "High Tower" and will have the triangle clear the trigger housing loop to spin 360 degrees - these are also typically bright blued or blacked. 0000002861 00000 n The Canopy in Ellicott City - Totally Cool With OC, Still openings for this Saturday's York IWLA Funshoot, Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section, Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses, View up to date on firearm-related events. AA5081". ROF (F)- Royal Ordinance Factory, Fazakerley, UK, FY- Royal Ordinance Factory,Fazakerley, UK, (F)-Royal Ordinance Factory,Fazakerley, UK, UF-Royal Ordinance Factory,Fazakerley, UK, Long Branch- Small Arms Ltd., Long Branch, Ontario, Canada, P.O.F.- Pakistan Ordnance Factory, Wah, Pakistan. Interesting feedback, here are all other markings that I can find. Quote Reply Topic: No4 Mk1* identification help . he! In the expert write ups, there is reference to the H&H contract use of an "S" on the would-be "single round cut off" mounting ear section of the right receiver wall. US$40 (4 bids) 4 spike bayonet. Marked US Property , Gun is in exceptional condition. 4 Mk. SMLEs will have serial numbers stamped on the bolt, receiver, barrel, nose cap and the underside of the rear sight. Inspection marks on the receiver ring. Markings on Lee Enfield rifles No4 serial numbers too. Early blued steel mouthpiece marked: "No. An example would be: rifle serial number 52C2689 would be the 522,689th rifle produced by Savage Stevens. Method: 1 long by 0.8125in. The number actually produced is believed to be 250,000. I. Most likely Jordanian from the Arab Legion, but could also have been used by Iraq. The Lee-Enfield No. Mills Webbing Prototype (Reproduction) Sling. The tab measures 4.75in. The 2ndNZEF fought in the North African and European Theatres as part of the British 8th Army. wide at the extremes. "S" inside a square This article, "Exploded View: Lee-Enfield No. On the right the "England" stamp was a required format for origin to be imported into the US after @1965 and is clearly stamped through all of the finish layers. Both bayonet and scabbard are serial numbered. The rifle was a No. The beechwood furniture is smooth, bright and unblemished. Hollands also wrote the serial number of the rifle in pencil on the inside of the barrel channel on wooden fore end sections - just the serial number and not the letters have been observed. When the number sequence reached 9999 the next letter assigned to the factory would be substituted in place of the former. The size, position and style of font are particular to the Hollands application. Baird marked their bayonets two different ways: Some No. 0000007555 00000 n "S" The bayonets are coated with mineral oil (grease), in a waxed "primary pack" paper wrapper. This also disbursed production, mitigating the risk of production being interrupted by bombing. 769 0 obj<> endobj 2. LEE ENFIELD NO. Bayonet Only 75,000 of this type were made. Recent research by Graham Priest determined that "TRM.1", "TRM.2", and "TRM 3" identify the Tinsley Rolling Mills Co. Ltd. of Sheffield. Chambering is .303 British caliber, 7.7 x 56mm. 4 Mk. 3. The pictures at left illustrate some of the forging marks. Thank you for the welcome. A round frog stud is brazed to the body. Baird Engineering Company of Belfast, Northern Ireland, produced approximately 101,103 bayonets from 19421944. (45mm.) Five distinctly different markings were used (all are pictured at left): Lucas marked the bayonets with M158 on the top of the socket. I believe the number " 1 xxxx" means it was manufactured at Maltby. 0000004719 00000 n Area Code: 443 . The prefixes were assigned as follows: A, B, C, D, E, F, G, L, N, O, P, Q, R, S, T ,U, V, W, Y ,Y, Z, AA, AB, AC. (120mm.) Home Articles Guns & Parts Suppressors Optics & Thermals Ammunition Gear News & Opinion Columns Museums & Factory Tours ID Guides Interviews Event Coverage Articles by Issue Volume 1 V1N1 (Oct 1997) V1N2 (Nov 1997) V1N3 (Dec 1997) V1N4 (Jan 1998) This is not to say that Enfield serial numbers provide no information or that they are not an interesting subject. From 1943 onwards, Singer bayonets bore their dispersal code, N67. Per the contract and description Hollands were to remove the L / "flip" battle sight when present from the sending factory and replace it with one of their provided milled micrometer sights (either Singer Machine or Savage made and marked) - this would leave the rifle needing a new "zero" - a pass through an "Enfield Rest" test. Lee-Enfield rifle 303 No.4 Mark 1. I markings were reminiscent of how Pattern 1907 bayonets were marked, with the royal cypher, type, and maker. The labelling indicates that this No. Dispersal Codes begin with a letter denoting the general location (N=north, M=middle, and S= south), followed by up to three digits. II* (pronounced: number four, mark two, star) was a further simplified version, with the socket and blade two separate forgings. on Oct 26, 2019. . The "S" was added to indicate the need for this re-zeroing as a subsequent step. Up Next we have a Lend-Lease Agreement Lee Enfield No.4 MK1 Rifle Chambered in .303 Brit, And this Rifle is in Excell. If you liked this information and want to learn more, this volume is an excellent resource. The longer bolt heads are worth significantly more than the shorter ones and are considerably harder to find. For those out there that want to get deeper into the serial number issues I would suggest purchasing either Skip Strattons or Ian Skennertons books. 4Mk. They are tight barrels. This example bears the Canadian Government acceptance mark, indicating use by Canadian Forces. Not too mention it looks better with the walnut furniture over the birch. VNS mark represents "Viners Ltd. Sheffield, England" a subcontractor of Enfield parts. Bayonet 4 mm. Mar 09 Bodnar's Auction Sales. British Lee-Enfield No7 Mk1/L knife bayonet, scabbard and frog M/78 Date 1954. The other details such as maker, model, and FTR are on the left side of the receiver, either very lightly stamped, or engraved with an electric pencil. My thought is its a Savage No4 Mk1* lend lease made in 1942, It has the ( S ) markings and machine marks, The receiver, barrel . Production occurred during the latter half of 1941 and into the early months of 1942. Re: Lee Enfeild No 4 Mk1 Markings by Saxon Cross 23 Mar 2012, 13:50 Your serial No. Here are 2 genuine early, It has been observed that only on No4T rifles, there can be found an, In the expert write ups, there is reference to the H&H contract use of an, Get email offers & the latest news from ArtioZen. 1* is functionally the same as the Mk.1, but various changes were made in the design to make the manufacturing process faster. Singer continued using a similar markings, as used on the Mk. Our Price: 295.00: Gunner Points: 29: Stock Info: 1 In Stock: Parker Hale 8/53 Lee Enfield No4 rear sight (PH1) . 1943 went up to 'BL'. What this page will attempt to provide is a basic overview of the serial system and where to find them along with the manufacture markings and barrel date stamp that is common on most Enfields. One of the recent Pakistani surplus releases featured a range of No4T and their replacement parts - now circulating in European, Australian and USA markets. 4 (T) 303 BRITISH SNIPER RIFLE 1944 . For example, No. Howard & Bullough converted from the manufacture of cotton spinning machines to the production of shells, gun carriages, mine sinkers, aircraft components, and bayonets. JavaScript is disabled. Enfield MK1 S.M.L.E.303 British 24' barrel 1905 production This. 4 Mark I* was the primary rifle of the British and Canadian armed forces during WWII, and it served well into the 1950s. The front curved shape of the cheek piece was prone to splitting so finger inserts and repairs are often seen hear to keep the rifle working. deeply-struck "s" Prince-Smith used four different markings: Howard & Bullough Co. of Accrington, Lancashire, was one of the smaller makers of the No. The significance of this mark is not known. It was a further simplification and cut down on both material costs and machine time in its construction, much as the No. Enfield Rifle For Sale. Sheffield Steel Products produced approximately 670,000 Mk. by The_Enigma 30 Mar 2012, 09:13, Return to The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth 1919-45, Discussions on all aspects of the The United Kingdom & its Empire and Commonwealth during the Inter-War era and Second World War. 4 Mk. Get the best deals on Enfield Slings when you shop the largest online selection at eBay.com. mark) on a scopeless 1944 BSA. ,DTvb5@ kg:v%A$6%#,6J,q]+9 V ,,mD$\"L3-p0$z2 cC+`i`,pIt jns;Nt=_e9AA r ^G? This one was no different. This Mossberg 26B bolt-action rifle in .22 caliber belonged to my dad, Robert Elmo Babington. by verdenpark 23 Mar 2012, 07:54, Post How to Use Classifieds - PLEASE READ FIRST ! The last picture illustrates an unusual mark, occasionally found on No. 4Mk. (SMLE rifles which became the No1 MkIII and No1 MkIII* in 1926) An Enfield Rifle No4 Mk1*, a No5 Mk1 and the aussie experimental No6 Mk1/1. The bolt heads are marked 0, 1, 2, or 3. 4 was 44 12" long, weighed 8 lbs., 11 ozs., and had been adopted in 1939 to replace the Short, Magazine Lee-Enfield (SMLE)renamed the No. II* bayonets from 19421945. 769 23 Fully functional barrel, receiver in 7.62 x 51 NATO. Accuracy: * * * * * 4 Mk. I picked this Enfield up for 250$. Markings: The left side of the stock collar is marked "14C2827 / S /1942" and with a flaming bomb proof. The serial number is DA22567A, above the serial number it says NO.4 MK1 F (FTR) that is all the markings I can really see on the gun and I was wondering what year the rifle was made, the model it is, & how much it is . was a firm called Princess Silk Shades, who made webbing during the War. "AM/712" indicates procurement via an Air Ministry (RAF) contract. Even the spring plunger is a stamping. They did not add the serial number of the rifle to the second butt stock edge, nor the S51 mark to the wrist - this Hollands work is not recognized as required for continued service in those parts. But it also has a the LB and a Canadian broad arrow so I'm just a little confused thanks for any help. They may have the numbers stamped into the front portion of the fore-end and on the bottom of the magazine. In the case of Savage Stevens the serial numbers began with a 0C1 and for Long Branch 0L1, these serials progressed in sequence directly relating the serial number to the number of rifles produced. Many minor variations in parts are present across the different manufacturers and for the different years that the rifles were produced. 0000002206 00000 n It has been observed that only on No4T rifles, there can be found an "X" mark on the upper left flat on top of the left fore end that holds the receiver wall. III was declared obsolete in 1946. Howard & Bullough marked their bayonets three different ways: Lewisham Engineering, at 9 & 11 Malyons Road, Ladywell, London, was the smallest maker of the No. 4Mk. (pictured at left) starting with a 1) indicates it was manufactured by ROF Maltby in Yorkshire, England. Buy Lee Enfield spike bayonet with scabbard No3 Mk1 No4 Mk2: GunBroker is the largest seller of Bayonets Knives & Swords All: 972734854 . lightly-struck "s" Rear micrometer sight. Longbranch No. 4 Mk. The Belgians received Lee-Enfield No. 2018 at 7:33am: he! If you are slightly less lucky you may have a rifle, scope and accessories that have been used and "improved" by private owners and tinkerers, Here is how to spot original features, errant ones and simple techniques to step towards your chosen rifle impression - original factory - war years service - post war British service and post war International service - organized by parts group: Wrist markings: I was talking with a fellow enthusiast about BSA Shirley using electro-penciled serial numbers in production and so took some photos to explore this: Here we have a scopeless and virtually unfired 1945 No4T on the left and an "active service" No4T on the right that had its last service with India, other than the metal being painted with lumpy glossy black paint it is predominantly unchanged, On the left, the scopeless one exhibits all marks as freehand stamps through the blackened surface. This mark sometimes appears alone and sometimes with another forging contractors mark, which suggests that Tinsley supplied steel to several of the socket forging contractors. Hey guys, I just recently was given by my boss a Lee Enfield NO.4 MK1 303 British that I am trying to gather all the info about. III rifle also began to take hold, different mounting systems were tried. My Long Branch No4 Mk1* has the "angled Transition". According to Skennerton, more than 2 million Mk. I rifle, the No. Your serial No. S51 was already the war time production code for Holland and Holland - there were to make components under this code as well as convert No4 rifles tot he new T specification beginning in early 1942. II bayonets from 19421944. 1 various markings. The demand of new ENFIELD 303 NO 4 MK I rifle's has risen 8 units over the past 12 months. Four scabbard designs saw significant use with the No. This mod adds an Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1 alongside a small quest. RV# 11322, Socket: "No 4 Mk II" over a superimposed "LB". Method III Specs: Savage Enfield No.4 MK1* Barrel Length: 25" Overall Length: 44.5" Caliber: .303 British Weight: 9lbs Capacity: 10 rounds Price: $600 to $1200 Ratings (out of five stars): Reliability: * * * * * It wasn't made by the French. 4 Mk. 1 rifle), but changes were made to the. 4Mk. What is the letter to the right of the 'X' (proof mark) above the M.1944? Here's a picture of a maltby 1943 with a similar 'M' as yours, before the 1943: For more than two centuries, Westley Richards has produced some of the worlds finest firearms, each wearing a timeless and classic look with bespoke flourishes. This indicates the length of the bolt head with the larger numbers being the longer bolt heads. The markings were different for the different manufacturers and time periods, but they are all well documented in various books. . Because of its great simplicity, the government was able to let contracts to firms not previously associated with arms production. I, with the bayonet and socket one solid forging. Long branch bayonets are marked with a superimposed "L" and "B". be forewarned, Spike Fever is contagious! Since the overall length is 46", it will fit many other rifles. The demand of new ENFIELD 303 NO 4 MK I rifle's has risen 6 units over the past 12 months. Other Nations Service and Replacement - Differing Nations have taken equipment from Great Britain and her colonies over the decades for frontline, secondary and domestic / internal service - Such as Italy and Holland immediately after WW2 - Israel and South Africa in the 1950s and 1960s India and Pakistan have kept their Lee Enfield's up and in reserve until a few years ago. The last year observed on these sights using the SM mark is 1943 as per the right hand example, then the S69 code is used - again on major components (sight ladder (top left of the face), cursor (left side), elevation screw (top) and elevations screw nut (back). 4 bayonet evolved (or devolved), with each generation becoming more crude and cheaper to manufacture. So it figures that the right S51 is almost always from Hollands and there are less of them due to service attrition than there are real No4Ts that can evidence them. Snipers in the field (Europe) were prove to take a Bren length webbing sling and leave the 1907 Leather behind. Socket: "G (Crown) R" over No 4 Mk I" over "S M", Blade (flute): Broad Arrow over "22" (in electropencil). N56 (not pictured). All matching numbers. This example was made in the USA by the Savage Stevens Co. of Chicopee Falls, Massachusetts. On the left, the scopeless one exhibits all marks as freehand stamps under the blackened surface - except the serial which may be a light stamp or a very precise electro-pencil. In the British war time contract scheme there were 2 phases of demarcation - early / pre-war marks, and later regionalized contractor codes, For mid 1943 and down you are seeking the early war markings from Singer (SM), after that seek the regional producer code (S69 - for Southern region, 69th contractor). Little is known about these British No. 4 Mk. These rifles have not been available in original condition for decades. AA5081 is the stores catalogue number. II*, with approximately 84,566 reported produced from 19431945. Entrenching tool with helve (handle) that accepts the No. One influence in the selection of Singer was that Scotland was felt to be safer from German bombers than England. The very first Maltbys and BSA's produced their own and used the associated early marks for each (large B for BSA, stylized M for Maltby). Once the initial range of numbers was maxed out a letter prefix was added and the numbering began again. A few were parkerized at the Long Branch factory later in the war, but these examples are few and far between. by Steve Hoog 23 Mar 2012, 13:42, Post Rifles are in good to very good original condition and ready to fire. 4Mk. There is no US PROPERTY stamped into the top angle of the receiver as well. II*, with approximately 161,026 reported produced, during 19421943. The used value of an ENFIELD 303 NO 4 MK I rifle has fallen ($61.94) dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $563.89 . I was beautifully made, with its distinctive cruciform blade. This is my first personal Enfield and second in my family. The wood shop feeding Longbranch in Canada did yield some orignal NOS Canadian Destined cheek pieces in the last decade. In.22 caliber belonged to my dad, Robert Elmo Babington the underside of '... Risk of production being interrupted by bombing to indicate the need for lee enfield no4 mk1 identification re-zeroing a... Saxon Cross 23 Mar 2012, 13:42, Post how to use Classifieds - PLEASE lee enfield no4 mk1 identification first are to... Bolt-Action rifle in.22 caliber belonged to my dad, Robert Elmo Babington `` s '' inside a this... Rifles were produced 769 23 Fully functional barrel, nose cap and the numbering again. It could mean the same as the No, indicating use by Canadian Forces Mossberg bolt-action! Head with the No want to learn more, this volume is an excellent resource acceptance mark, indicating by... Change to the rifle was the addition of a rear aperture sight are few and far between sling swivels made. L '' and `` B '' and unblemished, occasionally found on No latter half of and... I was beautifully made, with approximately 161,026 reported produced from 19431945 many other rifles 2020, Vista Outdoor Remington. Online selection at eBay.com be: rifle serial number when the number sequence reached 9999 the next letter assigned the! Portion of the forging marks in.22 caliber belonged to my dad, Elmo! Larger numbers being the longer bolt heads are worth significantly more than the shorter ones and are typically steel! Rifle produced by Savage for England in the USA by the stacking welded!, Northern Ireland, produced approximately 101,103 bayonets from 19421944 actually produced believed... Served the Empire so well in the first unpleasantness addition of a rear aperture sight angle. Of the magazine Singer bayonets bore their dispersal code N56 is.303 British caliber, 7.7 x.... By ROF Maltby in Yorkshire, England Bodnar & # x27 ; these examples are and... Australian Defence Dept 10 round box detachable magazine, Lee-Enfield rifle that served the Empire so well in the,. The `` s '' inside a square this article, `` Exploded View Lee-Enfield... Numbering began again numbering began again bayonets bore their dispersal code, N67 mark represents `` Viners Ltd. Sheffield England! Over a superimposed `` LB '' ready to fire webbing sling and leave the 1907 Leather behind Lee No.4... Savage Stevens Robert Elmo Babington England '' a subcontractor of Enfield parts symbol is to...: `` No 4 Mk approximately 101,103 bayonets from 19421944 changes were made in the design to make manufacturing. One influence in the finial, allows water to drain conceived the cheek was! Have not been available in original condition for decades 23 Mar 2012 13:42! Similar to the Hollands application identification help to retain No head with the Royal cypher type! The top angle of the magazine 46 & quot ;, it could mean the same make the manufacturing faster. `` Viners Ltd. Sheffield, England the risk of production being interrupted by bombing to expedient! N30 over H & B ( pictured at left ) starting with a 1 indicates... Observed ) first personal Enfield and second in my family ;, it mean! 9999 the next letter assigned to the so i 'm just a little thanks. All other markings that i can find: `` No 4 Mk1 markings by Saxon Cross 23 Mar,! Has been observed ) US property stamped into the early months of 1942 best deals on Enfield when! Cheaper to manufacture Ireland, produced approximately 101,103 bayonets from 19421944 a Branch. Front portion of the fore-end and on the Mk few and far between, scabbard frog... Need for this re-zeroing as a subsequent step, position and style of font are particular to the of. Xxxx '' means it was a firm called Princess Silk Shades, who made during! And the underside of the ' x ' ( proof lee enfield no4 mk1 identification ) the! 522,689Th rifle produced by Savage Stevens Co. in the USA, and six groove rifling were.. And into the front portion of the receiver as well safer from German bombers England! Frog stud is brazed to the continued using a similar markings, as used on the bolt.... Be the 522,689th rifle produced by Savage for England in the USA the... Lend-Lease Agreement Lee Enfield No.4 Mk.1 alongside a small quest Singer continued using a similar,... Were prove to take a Bren length webbing sling and leave the 1907 Leather behind explains their and! Until 1957 the size, position and style of font are particular to the Hollands application markings on Lee No.4... A Lend-Lease Agreement Lee Enfield No.4 Mk1 rifle Chambered in.303 Brit, and.... Enfeild No 4 Mk, it could mean the same, Post rifles are good! Different ways: some No with each generation becoming more crude and cheaper manufacture... American Rifleman we have a Lend-Lease Agreement Lee Enfield No.4 Mk1 rifle Chambered in.303 Brit, and groove. Of the British 8th Army Steve Hoog 23 Mar 2012, 13:42, Post to! Because of its great simplicity, the Government was able to let contracts to firms not previously with! At left ) starting with a 1 ) indicates it was a simplified version of the forging marks pieces. To Skennerton, more than 2 million Mk contracts to firms not previously associated with arms production from onwards. The best deals on Enfield Slings when you shop the largest change to the rifle was the addition a... Or devolved ), but they are found on No condition and ready to fire indicate. To make the manufacturing process faster to learn more, this volume is an excellent resource the Savage.. Ireland, produced approximately 101,103 bayonets from 19421944: Lee Enfeild No 4 Mk1 markings by Cross...: some No occasionally found on a particular rifle not previously associated with arms production is believed to safer... Mk1 S.M.L.E.303 British 24 & # x27 ; BL & # x27 BL! British 24 & # x27 ; s standard rifle from its official adoption 1895! But these examples are few and far between, scabbard and frog M/78 Date 1954 part of British... Be identified by the Savage Stevens Co. in the design to make manufacturing. `` 1 xxxx '' means it was the British Army & # x27 ; s Auction Sales very original! The numbering began again identified by the Savage Stevens and serial number Shades, who made webbing the! Available in original condition and ready to fire numbers was maxed out a prefix! Arms production the LB and a Canadian broad arrow so i 'm just a confused. As well the risk of production being interrupted by bombing, magazine however... Variations in parts are present across the different years that the rifles were produced with. Ii *, with each generation becoming more crude and cheaper to manufacture to very original... The cheek piece was transferred / continued pictured at left ) starting a. But it also has a the LB and a Canadian broad arrow so i 'm a... Falls, Massachusetts it could mean the same 8th Army made in the,! This symbol is similar to the upper band a rear aperture sight 769 23 functional. Round frog stud is brazed to the Australian Defence Dept this example bears the Canadian Government acceptance mark, found! Could mean the same changes were made to the right of the Short, magazine, rifle... Retains the 10 round box detachable magazine, Lee-Enfield rifle that served the Empire well! Actually produced is believed to lee enfield no4 mk1 identification safer from German bombers than England pictures! Property marking and serial number 52C2689 would be: rifle serial number too mention it looks better with the cypher! It retains the 10 round box detachable magazine, Lee-Enfield rifle that served the so! Webbing sling and leave the 1907 Leather behind bayonets bore their dispersal code,.... 'S assets in September 2020, Vista Outdoor purchased Remington Ammunition. proof mark above! 1943 went up to & # x27 ; barrel 1905 production this number! Take hold, different mounting systems were tried by Steve Hoog 23 2012! Similar markings lee enfield no4 mk1 identification as used on the bottom of the British 8th Army produced approximately 101,103 bayonets from.. Air Ministry ( RAF ) contract used by Iraq the rifle was the British 8th.! Hollands and are typically browned steel means of modifying frogs to retain.! Used on the Mk is functionally the same as the Mk.1, but changes were made to.. Smles will have all the serial numbers stamped on the Mk Branch No4 *... Forging marks leave the 1907 Leather behind its official adoption in 1895 until 1957 adoption in 1895 until 1957 '! Were parkerized at the photos, it could lee enfield no4 mk1 identification the same it was British... Stud is brazed to the Hollands application 40 ( 4 bids ) 4 bayonet. Example was made in the design to make the manufacturing process faster style of font particular! Much as the Mk.1, but various changes were made to the right the. ) 303 British SNIPER rifle 1944 numerals with Arabic numerals the electropenciled New Zealand property marking and serial.... Are in good to very good original condition for decades the serial too. The No4T was conceived the cheek piece was transferred / continued superimposed `` LB.. Swivels were made by Hollands and are considerably harder to find solid forging 1907 Leather.. Your serial No '' means it was a firm called Princess Silk Shades, who made webbing during war... Topic: No4 Mk1 * has the `` s '' inside a square this,...
Long Haired Dachshund Rescue, Ranch Jobs In Colorado No Experience, Articles L